Monday, October 5, 2009

When's the last time you listened to a "life-giving rebuke"?

"He who listens to a life-giving rebuke
will be at home among the wise.
He who ignores discipline despises himself,
but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.
The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom
and humility comes before honor."
Proverbs 15:31-33

Why would I write such a verse? I don't know....I think of the many times that I have been given a "life-giving rebuke". To me, that wouldn't be just critism but something much greater! LIFE-GIVING.....what does that mean? I think about the kind of rebuke/critism that can change a life and make it better.

When you're young it usually involves a rebuke telling you not to do something...like don't touch a hot stove, don't run into traffic, etc...

But when it comes to LIFE-GIVING I think that is a much greater thought! Imagine the possibilities! Imagine if you listened to a wise christian when they gave you a "life-giving rebuke". God's word says you will be at home among the wise....to be wise is a great accomplishment.

So....when's that last time you listened and applied a "life-giving rebuke" from a person of wisdom? Remember the last verse says that humility comes before honor. Is it time you dropped your pride to accept a rebuke in order to receive a life of honor?